Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 303-225-3343

Do Grandparents Have Visitation Rights?

Three generation family sitting with tablet and laughing together

When most people think about the impact of divorce, they typically only consider the parents and children. However, it's important to remember that divorce can also have a significant effect on extended family members. For example, the relationship between the children and grandparents may be impacted. In these situations, a grandparent can petition for visitation rights. Denver Family Lawyers can provide additional details on the process.

Petitioning for Visitation Rights as a Grandparent

If you are a grandparent who has been impacted by divorce, you may be wondering what your options are. One option is to petition for visitation rights. To do this, you will need to file a petition with the court. The petition must state that you have a relationship with the child and that the child would benefit from having a relationship with you.

It's important to note that in order for your petition to be successful, you will need to show that there is a significant reason why the child should have a relationship with you. For example, if the child's parents are both deceased, that would be considered a significant reason. If the child's parents are divorced but still on good terms, it may be more challenging to prove that there is an important reason why the child should have a relationship with you.

The Best Interest of the Child Standard

When making a determination on visitation or custody, the courts always put the best interest of the child at the forefront of the conversation. The court will consider factors such as the child's age, health, and well-being when making its decision. Additionally, if there are any special needs or circumstances involved, those will also be reviewed and thoroughly explored.

Denver Family Lawyers Can Help

If you are a grandparent impacted by divorce, it's essential to know that you have options. One option is to petition for visitation rights. If you have any questions about this process or need assistance filing your petition, please don't hesitate to contact us.

To schedule a consultation, call us at (303) 225-3343 or visit us online.

Share To: