Denver Adoption Attorney
Adoption Lawyers in Denver Providing Compassionate Attention
Adopting a child is a wonderful choice that gives them the opportunity to grow up in a safe home where they are supported and loved. However unselfish that decision may be, the process to adopt a child can be very difficult and complex. If you and your family are considering bringing a family together through adoption, Denver Family Lawyers can help guide you. We are here to ensure you understand your rights and your responsibility as you go through the intensive process.
Having an adoption lawyer by your side is important for providing you with all of the support and guidance that you need during this time. An attorney will help protect your rights and make the adoption process as smooth as possible. Our adoption attorneys in Denver have helped many families find success in the adoption process while ensuring that all legal requirements are met. Let us help assist and guide you through every step of the adoption process in Colorado.
Types of Adoption Cases Our Lawyers In Denver Represent
There are a number of different types of adoption, all of which involve a slightly different process. Our firm understands the various complex ins and outs of all types of adoption cases. For example, stepparent adoptions often take place when a parent gets remarried and the child will be living with their parent and the new spouse. Another common circumstance is when a biological parent has to give up their parental rights suddenly, such as in the case of child abuse or substance abuse. Petitioning for adoption can seem confusing, which is why our Denver adoption lawyer is here to guide you.
Our firm can represent you in all types of adoption cases, including the following:
- Stepparent adoption
- Grandparent adoption
- Private adoption
- Contested adoption
- Agency adoption
Step-Parent Adoption in Colorado
Step-parent adoption involves an individual becoming the legal parent for the child of his or her spouse. Although you may already feel like your child's step-parent, taking legal action on the matter can offer you and your family some great benefits and legal implications that you may not know about.
If you are interested to learn more about the benefits offered by step-parent adoption in Colorado, please call our family law firm today at (303) 225-3343. Our step-parent adoption lawyers have been helping to legally unite families in Denver for decades and can help to answer any questions that you have regarding the legal matters involved.
The benefits of step-parent adoption in Colorado include the following:
- Legal Rights: You will have the legal authority to make decisions in your child's life, regarding matters such as religion, medical care, schooling, and more.
- Equal Rights: You will be granted equal rights to the child in the situation that you and your spouse decide to get a divorce. This includes matters regarding custody and visitation.
- Biological Parents Will No Longer Have Rights: Step-parent adoption will help to minimize of influence of the biological parent in the child's life in the case that the biological parent is involved with alcohol, or drugs, or demonstrates behavioral issues.
- Insurance Benefits and Inheritance Rights: Legally adopting your stepchild will grant him or her insurance and inheritance benefits. Your stepchildren will be legally entitled to inheritance, as well as life insurance benefits that you may want to leave behind. This way, you will be able to legally secure their futures.
- A Stronger Bond: Legally adopting your stepchild can help to strengthen the bond between you and the child. This is a big step in demonstrating your ongoing devotion, and can tremendously solidify your family's connection.
What Is The Process For Step-Parent Adoption in Colorado?
In order to legally adopt your stepchild in the state of Colorado, there are certain requirements that you have to meet, as well as particular steps that you have to take.
The steps and requirements to adopt your stepchild in the state of Colorado include the following:
- A criminal history and background check (involving your fingerprint)
- The completion of the TRAILS background check
- The legal consent of the custodial parent
- The legal consent of the non-custodial parent (except if the parent has abandoned the child)
- Filing of the petition with the Colorado court
- A legal adoption hearing
If the non-custodial parent does not agree to the step-parent adoption, the situation may be tricky. An adoption attorney will be able to help navigate the situation for you and inform you of all of the legal options available to you. Having an experienced attorney by your side during this time is critical for protecting you and your family, and for ensuring a smooth and successful adoption process.
Can You Adopt Someone Over 18 in Colorado?
Yes, the state of Colorado does allow for adoption of people over the age of 18 under certain conditions. Adult adoptions are usually done for emotional or inheritance purposes, rather than to gain legal authority over the adoptee.
- However, it is important to understand that adult adoption does not confer inheritance rights on the adoptee, as they are considered adults in the eyes of the law.