When the court is asked to establish a child custody arrangement, the court will take several important factors into consideration before making its ruling. First and foremost, the court’s main priority is protecting the child’s best interest. Any decision the judge makes will be based on what is best for the child.
Other factors the court will consider include:
- Each parent’s particular wishes regarding custody and parenting time
- The child’s wishes (depending on his or her age and maturity level)
- The interaction and relationship the child has with each parent and siblings
- The child’s adjustment to his or her home, school, community, and daily routine in general
- Each parent’s physical and mental health (disability alone is not enough to deny or restrict parenting time or custody)
- Each parent’s ability and willingness to encourage the child to have a loving and affectionate relationship with the other parent.
- Each parent’s values and how much time and support they dedicate to the child
- The distance between the parents’ houses
- Whether or not either parent has a history of child abuse, neglect, spousal abuse, or any other form of domestic violence
- Each parent’s ability and willingness to place the needs of the child ahead of their own
Involved in a Divorce or Child Custody Dispute?
Whether you are planning to file for divorce and are concerned about how child custody will be resolved, or you are currently involved in a custody dispute and want to ensure your legal rights are protected, the attorneys at the Denver Family Lawyers can help. A Denver divorce attorney at our office can help you identify what it is you hope to achieve, and then aggressively advocate your parental and legal rights during the custody hearings. Our goal is to help you secure a child custody arrangement–either from the court or in an agreement you’ve made with your ex–that meets your satisfaction and best serves the needs of you and your children.
To arrange a consultation to discuss your case, please contact the Denver Family Lawyers today at (303) 225-3343!